Published on July 2nd, 2018 | by Catherine Tingey0
With the Solstice behind us, we are now fully immersed in Mother Nature’s season of abundance and my personal fave, Summer.
From a Chinese Medicine perspective, summer is the season associated with Yang energy and is ruled by the Fire element. For people with naturally firey constitutions (Pitta), certain poses, foods and breathing techniques can be helpful to stay balanced.
Foods that are good to eat in summer have a cooling effect on the body – my favorites are radish, cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, lemon and lime.
Poses I find particularly helpful in summer are twists because they have a detoxifying effect on the body, and require a certain amount of internal warmth to practice safely.
And the cooling pranayama breath,Sitali, can be especially helpful if you find that summer makes you more irritable and easily flushed.
Cooling Breath – Sitali
- Sit in a comfortable upright position in a chair, or up against a wall
- Close your eyes and curl your tongue, extending it beyond your lips
- Inhale and draw the breath across the tongue
- Withdraw the tongue and exhale through your nostrils
Continue doing sitali for 2 to 3 minutes.
My Favorite Summer Drink
- 1 small watermelon (seeded if not seedless – just use a spoon to scoop out the seeds)
- Juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Blend and add lime juice and salt.
- If you don’t like your juice pulpy, strain and enjoy!
Watermelon juice is 92% water so it’s highly hydrating, and full of vitamins A, B6 and C, lycopene, antioxidants and amino acids.
Did you know watermelon juice is also tauted as a natural Viagra?
Summer Detox Poses
Enjoy the great outdoors during this beautiful season, wherever you may be!